Re: [exim] Using statvfs instead of statfs on Linux

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Andreas Metzler
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Using statvfs instead of statfs on Linux
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> Currently on Linux systems exim is using statfs() instead of
> statvfs(). I suggest to change this. Afaik all more or less current
> Linux distributions (including even Debian stable or RedHat 7.3)
> provide statvfs(). statvfs is suited better for LFS support, as it
> does not use fields of type long but custom types, it is defined in
> POSIX (XSI extension) and LSB discourages usage of statfs().

I rely on OS experts to tell me these things. I see that there's a
comment in the Exim source that statvfs() is the new standard and that
statfs() is deprecated. That was written a very long time ago (before I
was using Linux myself), so it does seem plausible that all relevant
Linux systems will have statvfs() these days. I will make the change,
and we'll see what happens...

> On a sidenote how about replacing the hardcoded
> "-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64" in OS/Makefile-Linux with
> $(shell getconf LFS_CFLAGS) or a similar construct?

The usage "$(shell..." is not something of which I am aware. I suspect
is it not universally available in all versions of "make". I do like to
keep things as simple as possible (both in the code and in my brain :-)

Neither was I aware of the getconf command or the name LFS_FLAGS. You
see, I am definitely NOT an OS expert. :-)