Re: [exim] A query re loopups

Author: Philip Hazel
To: russell-exim
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] A query re loopups
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 russell-exim@??? wrote:

> I am using Exim from Debian's Sarge, version 4.34-6.
> I had a lookup of the form:
>
> ${lookup {$local_part@$domain} partial1-lsearch*@ {somefile}}
>
> Lets say the email address way "user@???". Then
> I was expecting it to do a sequence of searches like this:
>
> user@???
> *@company.com
> user@*.company.com
> *@*.company.com
> user@*.com
> *@*.com
> *
>
> Instead, it did a series of searches like this:
>
> user@???
> *.user@???
> *.com
> *@company.com
> *
>
> Is this the correct behaviour? It didn't seem like a
> very useful way to combine the two searches.

The two searches are not designed to be combined. The partial one is
designed for domains. I had never thought about combining the two. It
seems that the code is taking the partial setting first, and then the *@
setting. I will add an item to the Wish List suggesting that the
combination be made more useful, along the lines of what you suggest.