[exim] SASL and LookOut

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Matthew Byng-Maddick
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: [exim] SASL and LookOut
I've noticed a prevalence of these messages over the last few days. It's
good to see people doing the right thing and using the SASL driver, it's
less good to note that they're runing Outlook.

I wrote the driver for a pretty much homogeneous standards-compliant
environment. The problem here is that SASL does not do a LOGIN authenticator
(which is not a SASL-standard authenticator) which would be needed by exim.

There are two ways I can think of to fix this - one is to write a
liblogin for cyrus which implements the plain text login protocol
with the normal cyrus backends. This should not be *too* difficult
to do, modifying the source of the current plain driver. The alternative
is to use the same saslauthd trick (note that cyrus_sasl != saslauthd)
as you have been using in the past, with the same "LOGIN" authenticator
that is specified in the examples in spec.txt.

(untested, but should probably work):
|  # hack for LookOut lusers
|  fixed_login:
|    driver = plaintext
|    public_name = LOGIN
|    server_prompts = User Name : Password
|    server_condition = ${if saslauthd{{$1}{$2}}{1}{0}}
|    server_set_id = $1

This is, of course, a complete hack, but if you won't use standards-compliant
software, then really, you've only got yourselves to blame.

It also means you have to run saslauthd still (which you wouldn't otherwise
have had to do).

Philip, perhaps something related to this should be a FAQ item? Your writing
style is rather less confrontational than mine, and if I've got something
wrong, then you seem to be good at picking it out. Please feel free to amend
accordingly :-)

MBM (glad that he doesn't have to support Outlook)

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick          <mbm@???>           http://colondot.net/
                      (Please use this address to reply)