Re: [exim] SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS

Author: Jim Tittsler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS
On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 02:10:33PM +0100, Adrian Cooper wrote:
> Thanks; then considering it is specifically a suggested statement in the
> Exim information at:
>
> http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html#exconf
>
> as follows:
>
> " would suggest setting Mailman to send a maximum of 5 to 50 recipients on a
> single mail (setting it lower decreases list latency, but increases the work
> that Mailman and exim have to do), and change it to send a maximum of 30
> messages per SMTP connection. To reflect this you should also change the
> exim parameter smtp_accept_queue_per_connection to be 30 as well"
>
> What am I doing incorrectly, and what should I be doing in order to achieve
> the required result as above?

I think the section you are referring to suggests setting
*Mailman* to use:
SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION = 30
and goes on to recommend setting *Exim* to:
smtp_accept_queue_per_connection = 30
(since it defaults to 10).

(But note that adjusting this Mailman parameter (and the
somewhat related Exim option) has a small effect on system load
and message latency compared to SMTP_MAX_RCPTS.)

--
Jim Tittsler             http://www.OnJapan.net/      GPG: 0x01159DB6
Python Starship          http://Starship.Python.net/