Re: [exim] Alterating / Intercepting bounce messages

Author: Marc Perkel
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Alterating / Intercepting bounce messages

Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:

> At 10:44 am -0700 2004/10/29, Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> I was just wondering if anyone has dome this and if so - how.
>>
>> I run a front end spam server for other hosts that I have no access
>> to. The mail comes in to my server (mx) and I spam and virus filter
>> it and hand it iff to the destination server. If the message is
>> rejected there - I don't know about it.
>>
>> I'm thinking that I'd like to have bounced message come back to my
>> server by altering the return path. At that point I would use it for
>> something - not sure what yet - maybe just save them to see what
>> isn't being delivered - or whatever - then I want to restore the
>> original return path and send the bounce back to the original sender.
>>
>> So - has anyone done this? And if so - can I have the code and tell
>> me what you use this for?
>>

> argh Mark! you've been long enough on this list to know that "bounce"
> is bad. Besides, if you alter the return path, how do you rebuild the
> original sender? by adding a new header? Dodgy. Just forget about
> bounces.
> Another aside: do you check the recipients or just accept blindly? I
> hope the former, for the usual reasons.

I think maybe I wasn't clear. When I pass the message on to the target
server - if the message bounces there - sy due to an invalid address -
then the bounce is returned directly to the sender. What I'm considering
is altering the return path so the bounce comes back to my server - I do
something with it - and then I restor the original return address and
send it on.

This allows me to inspect what fails to deliver for statistical reasons
looking for new spam fighting tricks.