Re: [exim] building mail gateway

Author: Genady Perchenko
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] building mail gateway
On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 04:49, Tim Jackson wrote:
> On 27 Oct 2004, Genady Perchenko wrote:
>
> > I am new to the list but I do need some help with exim.
>
> OK, you're in the right place :)

Thank you.

> > Network itself does not generate much email out but 99% of outgoing
> > email is bounced spam.
>
> OK, this is bad - not just for you but the poor (forged) recipients that
> you're spamming! You need to stop this.

Tell me about it!!

> >   - I am getting too much email (junk);
> >   - I am bouncing to much junk back, mostly to the fake
> >     addresses and try so hard that my server just cannot handle it.
> > I decided to separate the issues, and address one at the time starting
> > with taking under control outgoing email.

> I *strongly* suggest that the first thing you do is to stop generating
> lots of bounces. This is essential in any case, and may well solve a lot
> of your problems at a stroke.

Ok I still need to analyze things a bit, but here is my theory as it
stands right now: I do not have any blocking filters in place right now.
This is something I will need to work on. The major bounces that
generated are for invalid recipient on my end. If emails arrives to the
prime server. the recipient is checked at mail acception time and
rejected right away if no valid recipient found. In this case no bounced
message is generated. However, if mail happened to land to the secondary
server, then validation of the recipient did not happened yet and mail
has been accepted in good faith to pass alone to the prim server later.
Prime server rejects it due to invalid recipient thing but the secondary
server just sort of caught in the middle and left alone dealing with
email it should of not taking in the first place if it knew upfront that
recipient is not valid.  How would I deal with this?

> > - The default debian installation offers exim 3. Should I conceder
> > upgrade to exim 4? is any particular advantages in exim 4 for handling
> > outgoing email over older version of exim.
>
> For a machine just handling outgoing mail, I suppose you could continue to
> use Exim 3. However, I would strongly recommend you upgrade because:

I host email for over 300 domains with over 2000 email addresses (pops
and forwards) spread over 300 alias files. all maintains been done
through the home build control panel. Before I can upgrade to ver 4, I
need to run it first on non production server and see what is involved
in migration of all my existing setups to the new version. I actually
thinking to use this new gateway as a test field to see what I woudl
need to change in my alias files to migrate to the ver 4.

Hey, how come when I hit reply to your message, I am sending message to
you and not to the list? What is wrong? I will change address
manually.

--
Genady