RE: [exim] ignore spam scanning of outgoing mail

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Peter Savitch
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Ronan
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: RE: [exim] ignore spam scanning of outgoing mail
Hi.

> basically 'all' mail goes through the hubs. if its incoming its tested
> and sent to the mail servers...
> for locally generated mail -> sent to the smtp server which forwards

it
> through the hubs. So atm any local mail ie this one will be scanned by
> one of the 3 hubs on its way out and becuase its a list i'll get it
> scanned again on the way back! the latter ~ not so much of a problem

but
> the main point is that i want to cut down on overhead as much as
> possible for the short term before i migrate(hopefully) to a dedicated
> spam/virus scanning server...

First, there is almost nothing you can do about mails returning back
from lists. Just forget about that and let the things go.

Second, I still do not catch your topology.

You have got:

HUBS        - your three mail hubs, that exchange mail between WORLD
and         INTERNALS
INTERNALS    - your internal SMTP servers
WORLD        - any other SMTP server located elsewhere

Your internals have static IP's.

Under no circumstances mail goes from WORLD to INTERNALS directly, and
never goes from INTERNALS to the WORLD directly.
Mail can also pass:
1) from hub to hub
2) from internal to hub (and to hub again) and then back to another
internal

Correct?
And in such a complex routing environment you do not have a clear way to
estimate the routing logic at ACL time, and to decide `to scan or not to
scan', am I right? Things get worse if you remember that DATA ACL does
not allow you to perform recipient-based (per-domain) logic. Assume that
a message originated from one of the internals have two RCPT: one should
go to the world, and one should go to the internal.

Well, are the above assumptions correct?
There are still some tricky things you can do ;-)