Re: [exim] ignore spam scanning of outgoing mail

Author: Ronan
Subject: Re: [exim] ignore spam scanning of outgoing mail

Peter Savitch wrote:
> Hi.
>

>>exim is running on my 3 mailhubs.
>>currently it scans all mail that passes through it for both virus and
>>spam.
>>how do i disable the outgoing spam scanning?
>>we use spam assassin via the exiscan acl. we also use it to virus scan
>>so simply allowing all our hosts to be ignored from scanning would be
>>ummm not preferred...
>

> Well, if I understand the idea, you should first decide what's
> considered `outgoing'. If you have a well-known topology, the following
> could be done:
>
> # somewhere in the global exim.conf (configure)
> hostlist interior_hosts = 192.168.0.0/24
>
> # ...
>
> # in the DATA ACL
> warn    message =\
>     !hosts = +interior_hosts
>     spam = *
> #

> If you do not have IP-based split logic, then you can utilize additional
> conditions, like checking $authenticated_id for authenticated ESMTP,
> $received_protocol and so on. I have no idea about your mail hubs ;-)

basically 'all' mail goes through the hubs. if its incoming its tested
and sent to the mail servers...
for locally generated mail -> sent to the smtp server which forwards it
through the hubs. So atm any local mail ie this one will be scanned by
one of the 3 hubs on its way out and becuase its a list i'll get it
scanned again on the way back! the latter ~ not so much of a problem but
the main point is that i want to cut down on overhead as much as
possible for the short term before i migrate(hopefully) to a dedicated
spam/virus scanning server...

ronan

--
Regards