Re: [exim] ignore spam scanning of outgoing mail

Author: Chris Edwards
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] ignore spam scanning of outgoing mail
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Ronan wrote:

| exim is running on my 3 mailhubs.
| currently it scans all mail that passes through it for both virus and spam.
| how do i disable the outgoing spam scanning?
| we use spam assassin via the exiscan acl. we also use it to virus scan
| so simply allowing all our hosts to be ignored from scanning would be
| ummm not preferred...

We do similar with a DATA ACL something like:

# Extension blocker
deny demime = <list of nasty extensions>

# AV scanner
deny malware = *

# Mails from campus should not be spam...
accept hosts = <our local networks>

# Big messages are costly to scan - and are very rarely spam...
accept condition = ${if >{$message_size}{100K}{yes}{no}}

# SpamAssassin
deny condition = ${if > {$spam_score_int}{80}{yes}{no}}

Be aware there is a risk of a local compromised box sending out spam thru
your mailhubs; it's advisable to have some protection against this
situation. Here we run a script that watches the main log for IPs that
suddently emit more mail than expected - in which case alarm bells ring
and we investigate.

--
Chris Edwards, Glasgow University Computing Service