Re: [exim] Logging inconsistency between exim -Mg and exim -…

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: John W. Baxter
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Asunto: Re: [exim] Logging inconsistency between exim -Mg and exim -Mrm (Exim 4.42)
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, John W. Baxter wrote:

> Use of
> exim -Mg <message-id>
> upon a message in Exim's spool produces a logged line for "cancelled by
> root" and a Completed line. (With the creation of the bounce between.)

Indeed. It pretends that delivery to all recipients has failed
permanently. To do this, it runs some of the delivery code, in order to
get the bounce, and the Completed message happens as part of that.

> Use of
> exim -Mrm <message-id>
> produces just a "removed by root" line and no Completed line for the
> message.

Also indeed. This option just wipes out the files, with no delivery
processing.

> I like the different wording ("removed" vs "cancelled") for -Mg vs -Mrm.
> But seems as if log reading software which cares about "that's all I'm going
> to do for this message" has to look for both "Completed" and for "removed by
> root" for the message ID, and it would be nicer if looking for "Completed"
> were enough.

Good point. I had overlooked that.

> If it is agreed that the inconsistency is unfortunate, could a fix be put
> onto the wish list with, I think, low priority?

It is so small (one line insert) that it is best just to *do* it,
otherwise it will get lost forever. :-) So I will.