Re: [exim] rfc-ignorant.org - auto reporting those who rejec…

Author: V. T. Mueller, Continum
To: Marc Perkel
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [exim] rfc-ignorant.org - auto reporting those who reject mail from: <>
Marc,

On Samstag, 23. Oktober 2004, Marc Perkel wrote:
> As you know there are moron sys admins wh reject all standard bounce

In one case we had a customer that had innocently activated a
feature called "block crytic senders" which led to rejected
bounces. We later called the vendor's support just to find out
that the guy on the phone had zero clue about SMTP and what a
bounce message is... So sometimes the (bigger) moron is *not*
the sysad ;-)

> messages. So when to do callout verification you get:
> HELO ctyme.com
> 250 helo MRLRY
> mail from: <>
> 501 bogus mail from
> So - first - I want to be able to detect this condition where the from
> <> is considered bogus immediately before any rcpt to:.
> Then - I'd like a script to auto report them to rfc_ignorant.org
> Who likes this idea?

Well, I like it.

> I think if we don't start pressuring people to play by the rules then we
> lose the rules.

Which leaves the end user as the real user, since he or her
relies on "professionals" playing by the rules.

Having read some of the other replies in this thread, let me add
one point: Trying to implement "harsh" rules always calls [very]
liberal souls, but where does liberality lead us (read: the
clueless end user) in this specific case? In my dictionary
liberality is described as: "an inclination to favor progress
and individual freedom". Personally, I would call it a progress
to make admins observe the rules simply because those rules are
needed in order to provide high-quality and reliable services to
end users. And I would think that I'm not the only one who can
do well without the "freedom" to lose NDN-messages.

I have talked to more than one PHB, after the bounce issue had
escalated from an ignorant admin to him or her. They first back
their employee and don't really listen to arguments. At some
point they begin to understand that *they* lose a basic
functionality without NDN-messages and really get "pissed off".
Twenty minutes later they do accept bounces...

Cheers,
vt

--
V. T. Mueller