Re: [exim] Removing Root from FIXED_NEVER_USERS or getting F…

Author: Oliver Eikemeier
To: David P. Discher, David Discher
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Removing Root from FIXED_NEVER_USERS or getting FreeBSD521/PAM working
David P. Discher wrote:

> I need (i think) I have exim run as root. Past versions I was able to
> get working, however exim now has FIXED_NEVER_USERS, and removing
> "root" for this list didn't seem to work. At this point, I need to get
> this working, quickly. Running as root should fix this.
>
> OR I need to get PAM working for SMTP-AUTH.

I've added a port option WITH_FIXED_NEVER_USERS, which you can set e.g
to daemon:bin. Be aware that not dropping privileges during delivery may
open security holes, and using system passwords for SMTP authentication
gives attackers an easy way to sniff or crack them. Consider using
saslauthd instead.

-Oliver