Re: [exim] rfc-ignorant.org - auto reporting those who rejec…

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: David S. Madole
Betreff: Re: [exim] rfc-ignorant.org - auto reporting those who reject mailfrom: <>
Marc Perkel wrote:

> As you know there are moron sys admins wh reject all standard bounce
> messages. So when to do callout verification you get:
>
> HELO ctyme.com
> 250 helo MRLRY
> mail from: <>
> 501 bogus mail from
>
> So - first - I want to be able to detect this condition where the from
> <> is considered bogus immediately before any rcpt to:.
>
> Then - I'd like a script to auto report them to rfc_ignorant.org
>
> I think if we don't start pressuring people to play by the rules then

we
> lose the rules.

Some people don't consider callouts to be playing by the rules.

Do you have "VRFY" enabled on your server? If not, why not?

Maybe the person running this server doesn't care about your attempts to
use callouts to duplicate the service that "VRFY" is supposed to provide.
If you want to verify recipients' addresses, why don't you just "play by
the rules" and use "VRFY" to do this?

The rules say that "<>" is to be used for delivery of status
notifications. Your using it for callouts is not "playing by the rules".
If the other guy decides he doesn't care about status notifications,
that's his decision, just as it's your decision to use mail from "<>" as
a substitute for "VRFY".

Maybe I just missed the RFC that describes and/or advocates callouts? If
so, I'll gladly accept a pointer.

David