[exim] Logging inconsistency between exim -Mg and exim -Mrm …

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: John W. Baxter
題目: [exim] Logging inconsistency between exim -Mg and exim -Mrm (Exim 4.42)
Exim 4.42 (on Linux).

Use of
exim -Mg <message-id>
upon a message in Exim's spool produces a logged line for "cancelled by
root" and a Completed line. (With the creation of the bounce between.)

Use of
exim -Mrm <message-id>
produces just a "removed by root" line and no Completed line for the
message.

It seems to me that exim -Mrm "completes" a message in the sense of "that's
all I'm going to do for this message."

I like the different wording ("removed" vs "cancelled") for -Mg vs -Mrm.
But seems as if log reading software which cares about "that's all I'm going
to do for this message" has to look for both "Completed" and for "removed by
root" for the message ID, and it would be nicer if looking for "Completed"
were enough.

If it is agreed that the inconsistency is unfortunate, could a fix be put
onto the wish list with, I think, low priority?

--John

PS...it happened that I was working through a log reader with a colleague
today, and noticed the inconsistency for the first time. ;-)