Re: [exim] Backup for Exim emails when using POP

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: sam wun
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Backup for Exim emails when using POP
On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 21:14 +0800, sam wun wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a way to perform a centralised backup when client use
> POP protocol access Exim email server?

This really isn't an exim question - exim has nothing to do with pop.

> As far as I know, we may be able to setup Exim to make a copy of every
> incoming/outgoing email to a single email account (eg. backup@???).
> I don't know how this can be done, but it can be done in Postfix and
> Sendmail.

There are ways of doing this sort of thing. They are in general not
very helpful for the question you are addressing.

> The second problem is when this single email account (backup@???)
> holds all emails, if there is client lost all his emails in his destop,
> how can I restore all his emails from the backup@??? account and
> let him read all the backup emails as if he never logon before. Assuming
> client use POP.

Don't use POP, use IMAP.
If you *have* to use POP then you could configure the clients to leave
mail on the server, in which case you have solved your problem.
You also need a backup system for your clients.

    Nigel.