Re: [exim] suid permission not on 4.43?

Top Pagina
Auteur: Vincent Danen
Aan: Marilyn Davis
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] suid permission not on 4.43?

On 18-Oct-04, at 11:55 AM, Marilyn Davis wrote:

>>> I don't know what I did that could have ruined the permissions,
>>> since,
>>> as far as I can remember, I just copied my old Local stuff and did
>>> make, make install.
>>
>> You should have done make, sudo make install. Did you forget the sudo?
>
> I did it all as root.
>
> So, for an experiment, I ripped 4.43 out and remade it. It came in
> with proper permissions. But within an hour the s permission had
> magically disappeared.
>
> I tried it on another file. Same thing.
>
> So the mystery is solved ... it's some Mandrake feature that I haven't
> figured out how to disable yet.
>
> Exim is perfect.

This is Mandrake's msec doing it's thing... it thinks that sendmail
shouldn't have the suid bit... what it's doing is looking at
/usr/sbin/sendmail or /usr/lib/sendmail (forget which), following the
symlink back to exim, and seeing the suid bit there and removing it.
You can make a custom msec rule to disable this or you can turn msec
off entirely.

I believe if you search the archives you should find more specifics on
this as I recall it being brought up once or twice before.

--
Annvix - Secure Linux Server: http://annvix.org/
*Please note gpg keyid FE6F2AFD has been replaced with keyid FEE30AD4*