Re: [exim] MD5 and Exim

Top Pagina
Auteur: Philip Hazel
Aan: Phil Jordan
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] MD5 and Exim
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Phil Jordan wrote:

> I am no expert in this area. Can someone (Philip?) enlighten me on what's
> actually required by Exim (for MD5 passwords) please? 32 characters straight
> hex? 24 characters (64-bit encoded)? Can it in fact cope with either?

It's all documented. A quick grep of spec.txt for "md5" found this
extract from section 11.6 in about 10 seconds:

    .   "{md5}" computes the MD5 digest of the first string, and expresses
        this as printable characters to compare with the remainder of the
        second string. If the length of the comparison string is 24, Exim
        assumes that it is base64 encoded (as in the above example). If the
        length is 32, Exim assumes that it is a hexadecimal encoding of the
        MD5 digest. If the length not 24 or 32, the comparison fails.

So the answer to your final question is "yes".