[exim] FAQ Q0041, Q0066

Author: Simon Gruen
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] FAQ Q0041, Q0066
I've been having some problems I don't seem to be able to sort out by
myself
so here I am :)

"2004-10-14 18:44:07 unable to set gid=102 or uid=1002 (euid=103):
userforward router"
quote from the mainlog

well checking out the faq I found

--------

Q0041: <http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.40/doc/html/FAQ.html#TOC41> What
does the message /unable to set gid=ddd or uid=ddd (euid=ddd): local
delivery to ... transport=ttt/ mean?

A0041: Have you remembered to make Exim setuid /root/? It needs root
privilege if it is to do any local deliveries, because it does them “as
the user”. Note also that the partition from which Exim is running
(where the binary is installed) must not have the nosuid mount option
set. You can check this by looking at its //etc/fstab/ entry (or
//etc/vfstab/, depending on your OS).
--------

and

--------

Q0066: <http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.40/doc/html/FAQ.html#TOC66> What
does the message /unable to set gid=xxx or uid=xxx/ mean?

A0066: This message is given when an Exim process is unable to change
uid or gid when it needs to, because it does not have root privilege.
This is a serious problem that prevents Exim from carrying on with what
it is doing. The two most common situations where Exim needs to change
uid/gid are doing local deliveries and processing users' filter files.
There are two common causes of this error:

(1) You have forgotten to make the exim binary setuid to /root/. This
means that it can never change uid/gid in any situation. Also, the
setuid binary must reside on a disk partition that does not have the
nosuid mount option set.

(2) The exim binary is setuid, but you have configured Exim so that,
while trying to verify an address at SMTP time, it runs a router that
needs to change uid/gid. Because Exim runs as /exim/ and not /root/
while receiving messages, the router is unable to change uid and
therefore it cannot operate. The usual example of this is a *redirect*
router for users' filter files.

Setting the user or check_local_user options on a redirect router causes
this to happen (except in the special case when the redirection list is
provided by the data option and does not contain :include:).

The solution is to set no_verify on the router that is causing the
problem. This means that it is skipped when an address is being
verified. In “normal” configurations where the router is indeed handling
users' filter files, this is quite acceptable, because you do not
usually need to process a filter file in order to verify that the local
part is valid. See, for example, the *userforward* router in the default
configuration.
----------

well in general I got some local deliveries so (1) can't be the problem
right?
still I actually installed the super package (using debian) and tried to
figure out if there could be any issues
didn't help though

well so it has to be (2) right?
but I don't really know how to solve it, actually I used a bit of code
for configuration that I copied from the specs

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.40/doc/html/spec_42.html#SECT42.7

I'd really appreciate some brief advice

Simon