Re: [exim] How to avoid infinite autorespose loop ?

Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] How to avoid infinite autorespose loop ?
On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 17:30 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 15:44 +0000, Sachin Narale wrote:
> > How to avoid infinite autorespose loop ?
>
> It's very very very simple.
>
> An autoresponder must always send its response, just like a bounce, with
> an empty SMTP reverse-path.
>
> An autoresponder must always send its response _only_ to the address in
> the reverse-path of the incoming message which triggers the mail, never
> to any other address such as that found in From: or Reply-To: headers.
> Obviously if the reverse-path is empty no message is sent.

I'd agree with this, but you also need to defend against complete idiots
at the other end. So I would add that you need to rate limit auto
replies - for example where I have an autoreply it will only reply to a
given address once per week. Even if it does loop I can cope with that
loop rate.

Rate limiting is done with the once options on the autoreply transports.

    Nigel.