Re: [exim] SMTP command timeout

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: John W. Baxter
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] SMTP command timeout
On 10/3/2004 10:25, "Alex Neumann" <uni.alex.neumann@???> wrote:

> beginning from today my Exim 4.41 does not receive mails anymore coming from
> one bigger ISP here in Germany (most others get through).
> The message I see is:
>
> SMTP command timeout on connection from fmmailgate04.web.de [217.72.192.242]
>
> Thus, the messages are not delivered.

You might try not advertising STARTTLS on connections from 217.72.192.242
See the tls_advertise_hosts option
If you already don't advertise STARTTLS, this is not the solution.

> 2 questions regarding this:
>
> 1.
> Is there are setting to avoid this ?
> Maybe the smtp_receive_timeout which is named in the docu but which I cannot
> find in any of my config file ?

Many of the options are not stated explicitly in the configuration file.
Execute
exim -bP smtp_receive_timeout
You'll likely find out that the timeout is 5 minutes. Should be long
enough.

> If this is the right setting - where do I set it and what are good values ?
>
> 2.
> What happens to the not delivered mails ?
> Will the other MTA retry or are they lost ?

They should either be retried later (and eventually bounced) or bounced. It
depends upon how
fmmailgate04.web.de
treats whatever error it is seeing when connected to your server (as
permanent or temporary). The best way to find out is probably to
experiment.

> What does the SMTP spec say ?

--John