Re: [exim] Debian: Exim4 "unstable"

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Adam J. Henry
To: exim-users@exim.org
Betreff: Re: [exim] Debian: Exim4 "unstable"
On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 01:15:05PM -0400, Adam J. Henry wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 11:41:50AM -0500, exim@??? wrote:
> > Are there any Debian users on this list? If so, which version of Exim
> > are you using? Is it the "unstable" Exim4?
>
> Using Woody here, with a manual compile of the latest version of exim4
> directly from tarball. I use Equivs to meet the deps of other
> packages.
>
> From my experience, there is nothing "unstable" about it. Been doing
> it this way for a couple years.

Sorry I think I may of been a bit off-topic. While I commend the hard
work of everyone doing development on Exim, there are times that thing
slip by unnoticed until a lot of testing occurs. These same issues
could potentially slip through to Debian Unstable.

The greatness of Debian Stable is it has been the same for long enough
to have been tested by a great number of people.

Exim's had a major version change during the life of Woody. The decision
was made to upgrade Exim beyond Woody--does one go to Unstable to gain
the packaging of Apt, or use the tarball directly? I chose the later,
because the lack of a backport at the time, and my understanding of
rolling my own debs was quite limited.

As others mentioned, Testing is quite recent and has been used by a lot
of people. I would also recommend you give that a try.

I hope this helps to explain my previous post.

--
Adam Henry <hank@???> Marinar Communications
phn:[440.354.1458] fax:[440.639.1987] gpg:[0x3A4553E3]