[exim] Re: Thanks for all your input

Author: Jon Kyme
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: Thanks for all your input

Peter Bowyer <peeebeee@???> wrote:

>Bounces have null senders to avoid mail loops - if a bounce is
>undeliverable, it is simply dropped. If it has a non-null sender then
>the MTA responsible for the non-delivery of the bounce would have to
>bounce the bounce.... much badness.

Yes, but this doesn't apply in the case in question, on a number of counts:

1. A "null sender" at the start of the chain of aliasing/forwarding is
sufficient to break the loop (unless we're so clueless that we alias to
the original recipient - which would be a misconfiguration in anyone's book
- and probably *should* provoke some kind of terrible error :-) ).

2. Messages which use the null sender but are not going to the address
given in the return-path of a previous message don't seem to comply with
2821 ( 4.5.5 , 6.1 )

3. We shouldn't hope to disclaim 'responsibility' for messages injected
into
the MTS by plonking a null sender on them.

It's worth remembering that a BCP is just that, Best Current Practice;
on the day of publication. In the case of RFC2505 this is 5 years ago.

I don't see that I can be required to accept messages which don't seem to
be conformant with RFC2821 so as to support a convenience enjoyed by
forwarder/aliasing entities. This form of cost-shifting is no longer
tolerable.

Either:
(a) messages with a null sender should not be forwarded to
    multiple recipients (if at all).
(b) DSNs (etc) which must be forwarded like this, should have the
    null sender replaced with a valid, non-null reverse-path
    (perhaps  postmaster@???)

And whatever:

I don't believe there is any requirement to accept messages with the null
sender but with recipients which were never in the return-path of a
Corollary: There is no requirement to accept multiple recipients for a
message with a null sender.

Regards,
Jon Kyme