Re: [exim] exim very slow

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Arkadiusz Miskiewicz
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim very slow
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:

> Exim looks into passwd multiple times (what for?)

The reason for multiple times is to allow for a NIS, or other, database
holding the password information to be offline for a short while.

You can adjust the retry count by setting finduser_retries. However, the
default setting is 0, which should only do the lookup once. So something
else is happening here... ah! You said you were sending a message. That
is the opposite case, where Exim is finding a name from a uid, not the
other way round. That's a different part of the code.

I see that in this case, Exim always tries 10 times to find out who is
doing the sending. It is perhaps a bug that it doesn't respect
finduser_retries. I have noted this.

> Now the problem is sending email from such UID takes ages.

I presume you have set unknown_login to something? Otherwise, Exim
shouldn't send the mail at all if it can't find a login name.

> Any suggestions? exim 4.42 on Linux 2.4.27 with glibc 2.2.5

Patch line 3627 in exim.c. It reads

for (i = 1; i <= 10; i++)

change 10 to 1. There will still be a 1-second sleep when it fails; that
is another bug, I think. Cut out line 3696 to remove it.