Re: [exim] AOL Probs

Author: Tony Finch
To: Ron McKeating
CC: Exim-Users \(E-mail\)
Subject: Re: [exim] AOL Probs
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Ron McKeating wrote:

> We have tried using other ports but no joy, has anybody found a way
> round this.

Really? Port 587 and 465 don't work?

I note that some broken software (written by our favourite whipping boys
in Redmond) insists on using tls-on-connect on ports other than 25, so you
have to support both old nonstandard smtps on port 465, and a standard RFC
2476 submission server on port 587. Our recommendations can be seen at
http://www.cam.ac.uk/cs/email/muasettings.html

Also, the first author of draft-hutzler-spamops-02 works for AOL and that
document states that ISPs MUST NOT block or intercept port 587.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@???> http://dotat.at/
WHITBY TO THE WASH: WEST 6 OR 7. SHOWERS. GOOD. MODERATE, OCCASIONALLY ROUGH