Re: [exim] Thanks for all your input

Author: Jon Kyme
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Thanks for all your input
dwmw2 wrote:

>However, in §2.3.3.4 you state that 'Legitimate Delivery Status
>Notifications should be sent to only one recipient address" and
>encourage the reader to drop the connection if that happens.

>Your advice contradicts §2.6.1 of RFC2505, which says that you MUST
>NOT(their caps) reject the mail in that case:

>The most common case of such legitimate "MAIL From: <>" is to one
>recipient, i.e. an error message returned to one single individual.
>Since spammers have used "MAIL From: <>" to send to many recipients,
>it is tempting to either reject such mail completely or to reject all
>However, there are legitimate causes for an
>error mail to go to multiple recipients, e.g. a list with several
>list owners, all located at the same remote site, and thus the MTA
>MUST NOT refuse "MAIL From: <>" even in this case.

I've never really understood this (which, incidentally, pre-dates rfc2821).
2821 suggests that:
"All of these kinds of messages are notifications about a previous message,
and they are sent to the reverse-path of the previous mail message"

Give than the "previous mail message" will only have one reverse-path, how
should such a notification have more than one RCPT? 2821 goes on to say:
"All other types of messages (i.e., any message which is not required
by a standards-track RFC to have a null reverse-path) SHOULD be sent
with with a valid, non-null reverse-path."

Or have I overlooked something important? (wouldn't be the first time)