Re: [exim] exim4 needs CAP_SYS_RESOURCE?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marc Schiffbauer
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim4 needs CAP_SYS_RESOURCE?
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Marc Schiffbauer wrote:

> But why does this only happen if apache (www-data) calls the binary?
>
> It does not happen at exim4 startuo for example (user mail)

I presume you mean the Exim daemon startup. My *guess*, and this is
strictly a guess, is that there is a difference because the daemon
startup is initiated by a root process. This hypothesis could be tested
by calling the binary from (a) a root process and (b) an ordinary user
process that is not www-data.