Re: [exim] automatic signature for outgoing mails

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: David Woodhouse
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Ian Eiloart
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [exim] automatic signature for outgoing mails
On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 11:34 +0100, Ian Eiloart wrote:
> WTF is the point of posting that advice? For the benefit of anyone who
> doesn't understand, David is suggesting that the OP erase everything on
> their machine. Quite why he's suggesting that is not clear, but I can only
> assume that he's either joking (a poor joke, IMHO), or actually trying to
> upset someone.

Come now. It was a response to the suggestion that the OP might have
wanted to do something which many consider to be obnoxious, pointless
and stupid.

The response was the metaphoric equivalent of "Ah, if one wants _that_
then one should achieve it by taking oneself out back and shooting
oneself in the head".¹ It was simply an acknowledgement of Thomas'
suggested interpretation, and meant to mean "OK, that's a valid possible
interpretation too. In that case I don't want to help the OP".

If anyone _genuinely_ thought that by running the command "rm -rf /"
they could cause their Exim installation to become configured in such a
way, and has lost any data as a result, then I offer my most sincere
apologies. That was most certainly not my intention. If this is the
case, please do let me know about it -- I promise I won't report you to
the authorities, and I _will_ revise my expectations about the general
level of intelligence of the human race, and tailor my future responses
accordingly.

Can we move on now?

--
dwmw2

¹ To prevent anyone else from having to 'clarify': This isn't true
either. Put the gun down, and back away slowly.