Re: [exim] Newbie spam bounce retries question (without disc…

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Peter Bowyer
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [exim] Newbie spam bounce retries question (without disclaimer)
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:56:16 +0100, Sean Hoggard <sean.hoggard@???> wrote:

> I'm running exim 4.3, with spamassassin, amavis and clam, the problem
> I have is that about 90% of my messages are bounce messages generated
> from spam, I've read that I should perhaps turn off the generation of
> bounce messages, but I'm afraid I must have them, our spam filter is
> zealous so there are quite a few false positives.

If your spam filter ran at the right time (in-line with the SMTP
transaction), you'd have no bounce messages to handle. This is the
only sane way to arrange things - you're busy trying to deliver
bounces to non-existant or forged addresses, and generally adding to
the problem you're trying to avoid.

> My question is, is it possible to limit the number of retries for
> bounce messages with the text 'Message content rejected, UBE', ideally
> I'd like to limit it to just a single attempt to deliver, then
> discard.

This is addressing the wrong problem. Have a look at Tim Jackson's
how-to for Exiscan and SpamAssassin

http://www.timj.co.uk/linux/Exim-SpamAndVirusScanning.pdf

and the Exiscan docs at http://duncanthrax.net/exiscan-acl/

to see how to set things up to reject at SMTP time and avoid the problem.

Peter