Re: [exim] [help] forward error

Top Pagina
Auteur: David Woodhouse
Aan: Nguyen Hai Ha
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] [help] forward error
On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 13:38 +0900, Nguyen Hai Ha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some of my users use .forward file to forward mails and sometimes errrors
> occur because the forwarded mailbox overflows. An error message is then
> automatically bounced to the sender. How can I change the destination of
> the bounce not to the sender but to the system administrator?

You should be able to do this with an 'errors_to' option in your
userforward router. But do you really want to?

Even if you're willing to assign your sysadmins the task of reading all
the bounces and forwarding the ones which are really appropriate --
think about the case where someone mails one of your users to change an
arrangement they've made to meet for lunch in ten minutes' time. Who
wants to see the bounce immediately? The user who sent the mail, or your
sysadmin?

It's good to avoid sending bounces where possible -- in particular it's
good to avoid accepting mail to unknown users and then later generating
a bounce. But if you can't avoid accepting the mail in the first place,
don't just ditch the bounce -- surely it's better to send a correct
bounce than to silently drop mail, which is effectively what you'd be
doing?

--
dwmw2