Re: [exim] Filtering with .forward files

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Filtering with .forward files
On 9/9/2004 15:57, "ebishop@???" <ebishop@???> wrote:

> Ok, need some help and would be very grateful for the person who can solve
> this for me.
>
> We are running a server with CPANEL and Exim installed. We want to log all
> outgoing messages from joeuser@???. We read that this can be done
> with Exim filtering. We added a ".forward" file to our home directory with the
> following information:
>

> # Exim filter
> if error_message then finish endif
>
> if $header_from: contains "joeuser@???"
> then
> unseen save /home/our_account/test.txt
> endif
>

> This is the only change we made and nothing is being written to test.txt after
> we send messages from joeuser@???
>
> The file text.txt is writeable.
>
> We tried the same info above many times with slight variations and nothing
> would work.

Point 1: /home/our_account/test.txt is writeable by whom?
Point 2: How are you going to get your personal .filter file applied to
messages heading out to the world? It should only be looked at if the
message is to (in the RCPT TO: sense) our_account.

You probably want to use the System filter for this, and I have no idea
whether a CPanel installation allows this (I have never looked at CPanel,
only seen it rear its ugly head a few times in this list and many times in
the Mailman list). But it seems unlikely that you as a user have access to
the Exim System filter through CPanel.

--John