Re: [exim] Performance considerations

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Performance considerations
On 9/7/2004 12:05, "V. T. Mueller, Continum" <v.t.mueller@???>
wrote:

> Seriously, is there anyone here on the list who ever had a memory
> bottleneck in his mailserver(s)?

Yes, but servers doing SMTP (including submission from clients and transfers
to/from the world), POP (for 2K or so accounts), RADIUS, and DNS in 256K of
RAM are the exception these days rather than the rule. ;-) There was a web
server on there too for a while.

Best uptime we got on that machine while it was doing all that was just over
365 days...and it was running fine when shut down to replace the attached
RAID box, which was not Y2K capable--it wouldn't have restarted after Jan 1
2000 had it been asked to. BSDi system.

We sometimes had to restart the name server to (temporarily) recover enough
memory to edit (with Emacs) decent size files.

--John