Re: [exim] log error

Author: John W. Baxter
To: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [exim] log error
On 9/3/2004 6:09, "Ron McKeating" <R.J.Mckeating@???> wrote:

> Thanks Peter that makes lots of sense. I figure the user was getting the
> bogus error from OE while it was still delivering the email. I have log
> entries with => for the destination address and a completed entry, so I
> guess it got there. Maybe their mail server as a phone call to the
> addressee says it has not shown up in her inbox yet.

For future convenience in dealing with claims of delivery problems, you
might want to turn on the smtp_confirmation log selector (see the
log_selector option...there are other things you might want to tweak as
well. Also see

45.15. Reducing or increasing what is logged
(that's the number in the Exim 4.40 spec) for the available selectors.

The +smtp_confirmation selector copies the content of the receiving server's
250 response at the end of the SMTP dialog into the log as a C="blah" item
in the Exim log entry. Many servers include the message id they have
assigned to the message (not all do).

--John