Re: [exim] Exim Relaying Problem

Author: dave
To: Peter Bowyer
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim Relaying Problem
Peter Bowyer wrote:

>dave said:
>

>>Hi Guys,
>>
>>I am having some problems getting Exim to relay email from the local
>>domain.
>>
>>I need to be able to relay mail from *@domain.com to anywhere - however
>>I cannot seem to get this working.
>>

>If you mean you want to relay all mail with a sender address of
>*@domain.com - you probably don't. That's trivial to forge, and you're an
>instant open relay.
>
>You could allow relaying from a known set of IP addresses (your local LAN
>perhaps) using (in a standard Exim4 config) the relay_allow_hosts
>hostlist.
>
>If the hosts you're relaying for are not under your control, you probably
>want SMTP AUTH.
>
>If neither of these suggestions helps, lets' hear more detail about what
>you're trying to achieve.
>
>Peter

Thanks for your response.

I realise that it is easy to forge a domain that is allowed to relay
through the SMTP server - however I need this just as a temporary fix to
get a server up and running. I will setup SMTP AUTH in the next couple
of days, but at the moment I just need to be able to relay mail through
this server without it being completely open to the world. Unfortunately
I can't allow only certain IP addresses, as there will be a number of
users on dynamic IP addresses.

I have setup virus and junk mail filters on the server.

Thanks
Dave