[exim] [NEWBIE] Confused

Autor: exim
A: exim-users@exim.org
Assumpte: [exim] [NEWBIE] Confused
Hi.

I have exim running on a DEBIAN machine. There exists a CRON entry on this
machine that looks like this:
# /etc/cron.d/exim: crontab fragment for exim

# Run queue every 15 minutes
08,23,38,53 *     * * *     mail   if [ -x /usr/sbin/exim -a -f
/etc/exim/exim.conf ]; then /usr/sbin/exim -q ; fi

After a 24 hour period I have tons of exims running in memory, and slowly but
surely the machine becomes unbearably slow ... and finally unresponsive to the
point where I have to reboot it, in order to get it back up and running.

1. Should there be such an exim CRON entry?
2. Are these exim processes supposed to check the queue, and, if so, shouldn't
they exit, once they've checked the queue and processed any existing queue entries?
3. How do I make sure that I don't get dozens and dozens of exim processes
taking over the machine?

TIA,
Yosef

Mail sent from: 24.126.78.239