Re: [exim] How to queue_only AND copy mail to a mailbox?

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How to queue_only AND copy mail to a mailbox?
Andreas Semt <as@???> wrote:
> Hello list!
>
> My configuration: Two Exim instances on Debian Woody for a MailScanner
> installation. The first exim, called exim_incoming, has only the
> purpose to accept mails and put them into the queue (option:
> queue_only = true). Then MailScanner takes the mails from the queue,
> process them and put them to another queue, the input queue for the
> second exim, called exim_outgoing. This exim instance then delivers
> the mails.
> So my question is: How can i copy all mail to a mailbox (for testing
> purpose only) and still only queue them? All that should do the first
> exim, exim_incoming. Should I use an ACL or a system filter? My idea:
> First use the unseen option (like in FAQ Q5033) and copy the mails to
> a mailbox, second use an ACL to accept all messages and queue them
> only. How to do so? Is that a good/right solution?

Hmm.. you've come across a limitation of the model that Mailscanner uses to
integrate (and I use the term loosely...) with Exim. Since the mails that
hit your first instance of Exim are never routed, you can't do any useful
processing with them (such as 'unseen' on a router, or a shadow transport).

The only solution which occurs to me would involve a third Exim instance...

Instance 1: Handles the shadow deliveries you're looking for, and then
routes/transports to instance 2
Instance 2: queue-only for Mailscanner (your old instance 1)
Instance 3: re-injected from Mailscanner.

Peter