Re: [exim] Fw: Exim, GPL, and IPR

Author: Richard Welty
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Fw: Exim, GPL, and IPR
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 07:22:02 +0200 Adrian Phillips <a.phillips@???> wrote:

>     Richard> unless M$ backs down, i am under the impression that
>     Richard> sender id ain't going into sendmail. if it doesn't go
>     Richard> into sendmail, i can't see sender id ever reaching
>     Richard> critical mass.

> Please check the MARID archives but I'm under the impression that this
> is no longer the case.

could be, although it still causes problems. i did go read the opinions in
the message archive you cited in another posting, and the actual truth
is between what i posted and what another posted: anyone who
distributes or redistributes sender id is required to register. thus, even
if sendmail bites the bullet and implements, any OS distribution that
includes sendmail will need to register. i can't speak for any of them,
but i'll wager that OpenBSD will choke on this at a minimum. Debian
would except that they don't distribute sendmail anymore. i don't
know what the other linux distributions would do; but redhat is showing
increasing license sensitivity.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@???