Re: [exim] Let the 'postmaster' callout option be damned

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: David Woodhouse
Cc: exim-users, Fred Viles
Asunto: Re: [exim] Let the 'postmaster' callout option be damned
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, David Woodhouse wrote:

> If postmaster callouts stop happening after an upgrade because the admin
> hasn't specified a source address, then it's not actually going to break
> anything. Yes, it's not 100% backwards compatible, but it's not really
> very harmful.

But the people who have configured postmaster have *asked* for it to
happen.

> Tim's original post was pointing out a real compatibility problem with
> (reasonable hosts in) the outside world, which is caused by performing
> postmaster callouts with the null sender. Isn't that a more important
> compatibility concern?

If this is biting the people who have configured postmaster, they will
already have noticed it.

> I was following from Tim's suggestion that it should just be made a
> no-op and deprecated. It would be a no-op _unless_ you specify the
> sender to use.

People clearly want the facility. Enough to have implemented it in Exim
and sent me the patches - it was not I that invented it. Therefore, I
don't see the point of either removing or deprecating it. What I *will*
do is to point out the problems when I next update the documentation.

[Unexpected behaviour changes always catch somebody, as I have
discovered this morning with Pine 4.61.]