[exim] Configuration file format: Leading whitespace always …

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Configuration file format: Leading whitespace always ignored?
Hello,
The documentation is not quite clear about this, 6.2 says:
| Blank lines in the file, and lines starting with a # character
| (ignoring leading white space) are treated as comments and are
| ignored. Note: a # character other than at the beginning of a line
| is not treated specially, and does not introduce a comment.

Is there a situation where "leading white space" is not ignored?
The docs do not state it explicitely but I've played a little bit and
could not find a instance where it is not ignored.

If this is indeed the case, could this be made clear in spec.txt?
                 cu andreas
PS: The reason I am asking is because I got a bug-report asking to
make it possible to indent .include and .if to make the file more
readable and I ended up trying whether it already works (it does)
instead of pointing to the docs as I usually can do. ;-)
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"