Re: [exim] Let the 'postmaster' callout option be damned

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: David Woodhouse
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] Let the 'postmaster' callout option be damned
On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 09:39 +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> > 2. I propose that in future Exim releases the "postmaster" callout be made
> > a no-op (at least without source-level intervention), removed from the
> > manual and deprecated. I realise that this is a relatively radical
> > suggestion, but after consideration I do think that this option is
> > fundamentally flawed.
>
> The people who originally wanted it would no doubt scream and fuss about
> that. I am not inclined to provoke screaming and fussing.

> > 4. Postmaster callouts shouldn't use the null sender. They should use
> > something like postmaster@$primary_hostname instead.
> >
> > Cue Phil being concerned about callout loops -- and rightly so. And of
> > course if you're going to do a callout with source 'postmaster@' then
> > you have to accept a DSN to that address. Perhaps the postmaster callout
> > should require a source address to be specified? It gets complicated.
>
> Quite. Too complicated.

How about a combination of #2 and #4?

Postmaster callouts are disabled unless a global option
'postmaster_callout_sender' is set?

Those who want it can turn it on trivially -- and can even provoke it
into calling out with NULL sender still. But we still make people think
and actually specify what they want.

--
dwmw2