Re: [Exim] change users spool directory

Author: Anand Buddhdev
To: Hermann Flacke
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] change users spool directory
Hermann Flacke wrote:

> My problem: I'm running my fetchmail on SuSE as well as on
> Debian Sarge. So I would like to set a new user's spool
> directory. Setting the value "spool_directory = /suse/var/spool/mail"
> in the /etc/exim4/configure + dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config
> doesn't work because the incoming mail still is put into
> /var/spool/mail/<user>.

You're confused. The spool_directory setting in exim defines where exim
keeps messages temporarily while it delivers them. It is NOT the
directory where the user mailboxes are located.

What you can do is remove the /var/spool/mail directory on your debian
system, and create instead a symlink from it to /suse/var/spool/mail.
This way, you do not have to change the exim configuration. Exim running
on debian will deliver to its /var/spool/mail, which will actually end
up writing the mail into the /var/spool/mail of your suse partition.