Re: [Exim] how to limit exim instances number

Author: Rakotomandimby Mihamina
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] how to limit exim instances number
Hochstrasser Benedikt wrote:
> What exactly is your exim busy with? Receiving mail? Sending Mail?
> Waiting for callouts? Antivirus scanning?

I dont know ... how to know ?

> CPU is just one of the scarce resources, IP bandwidth may be another.

Yes but i already monitor the bandwidth.

And when i 'killall exim4' all is quiet (10% CPU used), and the website
becomes reactive.

> What is your web server doing? Static pages? Lots of DB and PHP?

Runing Zope (yes i know its a huge CPU consuming server too).

> One possibility may be to use traffic shaping to guarantee minimum
> bandwidth for your web server (eg. http://www.m0n0.ch/wall).

It's not a bandwidth matter.

I (may be the wrong way) solved the problem by puttins these settings in
the Main configuration part of exim4 conf file :

# How much load we're willing to accept
# At this LA only hosts in smtp_reserve_hosts can connect
smtp_load_reserve = 5
# When to abandon queue runs
deliver_queue_load_max = 5
# After a this load we only queue incoming messages
queue_only_load = 5
# max queue running processes to run simultaneously
queue_run_max = 5
# Lets you set how many SMTP calls are handled
# This allows many more TCP connections in wait state
smtp_connect_backlog = 50
# When we start just queueing
smtp_accept_queue = 15
# We will not accpet more than 200 (changed to 20)
# incoming SMTP calls at once
smtp_accept_max = 20

I dont really understand the meanings of these but i see much less exim4
processes and it rocks.

Now : How will I know if too much mails are not queued ? because a guess
that if too much mails are queued, I will loose some ... isn'it ?
What other settings do you suggest me (are these values too much low ?) ?
--
RKTMB - http://www.rktmb.org/Members/mihamina
Tél: + 33 2 38 76 43 65 (France)