Re: [Exim] Bouncing Mails

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Bouncing Mails
Graham Dodd said:
> Hello exim-users,
>
> I've just spent a very long night trying fix a problem with the mail
> server and would appreciate your thoughts on what may have caused it.
>
> Setup is Exim 4.24 with LDAP, Exiscan, SA, ClamAV
>
> One of our users sent an email to 40 recipients, somehow this mail got
> stuck in a loop and continued to get sent out...... then the bounces
> started coming back ......
>
> When I got notified the mailq was in the 1000's.
>
> I deleted all mails out of the queue, checked the users Outbox (empty) put
> in an ACL to drop the bounces and restarted Exim...... about 30 minutes
> later the original email started looping again ??
>
> Another ACL to block the original mail, turn off the users computer and
> restart Exim...... currently running (on caffeine :-))
>
> The AV on the users computer does not detect anything, but I don't think
> it was an Exim problem...... so I'm searching in the dark
>
> Has anyone got any ideas ?

Take a specific example message, inspect the headers, do an exigrep for
the message-id in the log, see if you can see anything going on... post
them here for further advice.

Try not to obfuscate *anything* in the logs or the headers unless there's
authentication information there, as this activity often hides the
problem.

Peter