Re: [Exim] LDAP to Active Directory returns unexpected code …

Author: Nathan Ollerenshaw
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] LDAP to Active Directory returns unexpected code 115
On Aug 18, 2004, at 8:22 PM, Nathan Ollerenshaw wrote:

>> lookup deferred: ldap_result returned unexpected code 115

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this.

I found the solution to this problem, so here it is for google to index:

When using exim to do LDAP queries against an active directory based
system, if you have more than a single domain, you should query against
the GC (Global Catalog). This is an LDAP server running on port 3268 of
your Domain Controllers.

The GC holds a summary of all the information held by all the DCs in
your LDAP tree, and won't send back 'Referral' objects which confuse
exim.

Exim does not understand these objects and won't follow the references,
which is a good thing if, like me, your exim box is outside on the
public network and is shielding an Exchange server on your private
network.

Good news is we've migrated all the office mail to exim and it's
working like a charm. :)

Nathan.

--
Nathan Ollerenshaw - UNIX Systems Engineer
ValueCommerce - http://www.valuecommerce.ne.jp/

"If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're
going." - Professor Irwin Corey