[Exim] Re: alternate config for Exim4 + Dspam-3.0

Autor: Tore Anderson
A: Adam J. Henry
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Re: alternate config for Exim4 + Dspam-3.0
* Adam J. Henry

> Here is the error I am receiving:
>
 >     LOG: MAIN
 >       <hank@???>: dspam transport output: An error was
 >       detected while processing a file of BSMTP input.
 >     LOG: MAIN
 >       == hank@??? R=dspam T=dspam defer (0): Child
 >       process of dspam transport returned 2 from command:
 >       /usr/local/exim/bin/exim

> Here is a copy of the offending message's body (exim -Mvb 1BugsA-0008Le-5A):
>
 >     U2VyZ2lvIEhvZmZtYW5uLCAyNSB5Lm8uIHBzeWNob3RoZXJhcGlzdCwgR2Vy

[...]

I've experienced the same problem. What's happening is that DSPAM
unpacks the base-64 encoded message, classifies it, adds the DSPAM tag,
and so on, before sending it back to Exim - unpacked. What gets lost
is the terminating newline. That makes the period that's supposed to
finalize the DATA command end up at the end of a line containing other
characters, instead of on a line by itself. Naturally, this makes
the receiving Exim process see EOF before it has seen the period,
which doesn't make any sense from its point of view.

I inteded to make a patch to fix this bug of DSPAM, but forgot all
about it. What a did as a quick hack was to explicitly add a newline
to the end of the message like so:

    transport_filter = /bin/sh -c "/usr/bin/dspam [...]; echo"

Not exactly very pretty, but it works. I reported the bug
back to the DSPAM developers some time ago, for all I know it's
been fixed in the latest developement releases.

An easy way to debug such problems is to simply do something like

    command = tee /tmp/transport-filter-debug.log

instead. Then you'd see what was going on immediately.

--
Tore Anderson