RE: [Exim] Exim & remote MUAs - please check this?

Top Pagina
Auteur: Phil Jordan
Aan: exim-users
Nieuwe Onderwerpen: [Exim] blocked domain keeps coming...
Onderwerp: RE: [Exim] Exim & remote MUAs - please check this?
Thank you Ruth.

1. Ident check - comment noted. Thank you.

2. All of the mail clients are "internet based" as someone else put it, and
run a selection of software outside my control. SMTP auth is required, as I
supposed and as you and others have confirmed.

3. I guess I could get PAM working using SASL - but as things stand, I do not
have saslauthd configured. The machine I am using is not mine - it is a
dedicated server provided by a hosting company, and pre-loaded with a default
configuration which I am progressively altering to suit my needs.

4. I do not have Cyrus - I have the Universtity of Washington IMAP server,
and I understood that this did not support virtual users. Am I then incorrect
in this assertion regarding the availability of virtual users? The migration
to Courier is being considered as a way of acquiring the ability to use
virtual users, and for no other reason at the moment.

5. Yes I like Squrrelmail too, and use it to provide a web based service.
Works fine. Unfortunately most of my clients choose to use Outlook etc. from
their personal PCs.

6. Re "breaking" the ability for the clients to route outside our network,
this is because the ACL is only allowing "local" deliveries in the absence of
successful SMTP auth.

7. The problems that I am seeing are related solely to the absence of a
working SMTP auth scheme at the moment. The idea of using virtual users
arises from the desire to construct a working SMTP auth scheme, and also from
the fact that the email users *already* have suitable authentication data
stored within the database of the web portal software on my server, as they
are already registered users of that system anyway. Long term I think going
this way would reduce my administration overhead, at the cost of the effort
required to install and configure the new software.

As usual I think this is turning into an "Ask Maude" thread!

So, does anyone have any experience of using "whoson" with Courier 3?

Ruth - thank you very much for your kind response.

Regards

Phil

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 13:13:30 +0100, Ruth Ivimey-Cook wrote