[Exim] Exim 4 vs Apple Mail 1.3.8 (v618)

Autor: Jonathan Mao
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Exim 4 vs Apple Mail 1.3.8 (v618)
Hi

Please excuse my lack of correct jargon. Also, I'm not the mail admin,
I'm the client trying to connect. The mail admin is also looking into
the problem.

I'm trying to connect to an Exim 4 mail server. However, I can't
authenticate.

We're using Exim 4, and the error that comes up is "Incorrect
Authentication Data". This happens when I enter the mail server name
and choose "password" as the authentication method. I've checked the
username and password are correct.

They've figured out that it has something to do with the way Apple Mail
is presenting the authentication data but don't know the syntax that
the mail client wants from the authenticator.

Has anybody successfully connected to an Exim mail server using Apple
Mail?

My system is:
Mac OS X 10.3.4 on a Powerbook 17"
1GB RAM
loads of disk space

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks again.

Regards

Jonathan Mao
Intrinsic Digital
t: 02 6161 9534
m: 0401 840 284
e: jon@???
-----
The contents of this email are confidential and are protected by
copyright.  They are intended for the named addressee only. If you are
not the named addressee or a person acting on behalf and with the
authority of the addressee and have received this email by mistake, any
copying, disclosure or dissemination of the contents of this email to
any third party is strictly forbidden by the sender and the sender
reserves all rights and remedies against any person or entity making
any such unauthorised use thereof.  If you have received this email in
error, please would you contact the sender immediately by Telephone 61
2 6161 9534, or return of email and then delete and/or destroy this
email. Please note that any views or opinions presented are (unless the
context otherwise makes it clear) solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of Intrinsic Digital ("ID"). Please also
note that ID endeavours at all times to keep its network free of
viruses.  You should, however, scan this email and any attachments to
it for any viruses. ID will not be held responsible for any viruses
which may be transmitted upon receipt of this email or the opening of
any attachment thereto.