Re: [Exim] pipelining, ratware, and crapware

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Jeremy Harris
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Tony Finch
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] pipelining, ratware, and crapware
Tony Finch wrote:
> http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20040628/073377.html
>
> Philip suggested that I might get better interoperability w.r.t. error
> reporting from Outlook if I turn off PIPELINING. I tried that this
> afternoon, partly because of Philip's suggestion, and partly as an
> experiment to see it was good at tripping up spammers and viruses
> in conjunction with smtp_enforce_sync.
>
> However it turns out that at least one MUA doesn't implement the protocol
> correctly and fails to send email successfully, so I had to revert the
> change. Bah, etc.
>
> Perhaps it would be nice to only enforce_sync selectively, but sadly I
> can't do that because the configuration setting isn't expanded.
>
> Has anyone else experimented with these settings? Any interesting results?

We run a variant patch:

# Ignore synchronisation on HELO for brain-dead clients
# like AMEOL
smtp_ignore_sync_helo = true

Let me know if you're interested. This is operational with 4.34
but untested with more recent releases. I agree that expansion
would be more pleasant than this shotgun approach.

Cheers,
    Jeremy