[Exim] Problem with smtp auth

Author: Yann Rouillard
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Problem with smtp auth
Hi,

I recently successfully configured exim for SMTP AUTH under Debian using
saslauthd to authenticate. However I have a little problem remaining.

The authentification works perfectly when connecting to the daemon, but
it fails when using:
exim4 -bh 127.0.0.1 -d
or launching exim from inetd

The problem is that the exim process needs to belong to the sasl group,
and when it drops its privilege it doesn't gain the additional group of
the Debian-exim user.

I have fixed the problem by using the configuration directives:
exim_user = Debian-exim
exim_group = sasl
and changed the owner of cert file (for ssl) from root to Debian-exim.

However I would like to know if it possible to define the additional
groups of exim. I saw a directive in exim.conf but is seems to be
related to transport only.

I also tried to have inetd launch exim as Debian-exim.sasl but it didn't
work. Look like exim need root privilege first.

Yann