Re: [Exim] Checking for valid accounts in a mail from relays

Autor: Andrey Tverdokhleb
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Checking for valid accounts in a mail from relays
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 06:40:56 +0100, Peter Bowyer <peter@???> wrote:
> >> drop condition = ${lookup{$header_to:}lsearch {/path/to/file}{1}{0}}
> >>
> >> Not sure what this will do with multiple headers, multi-value
> >> headers, etc. But it's somewhere to start.
> >
> > "drop" is not very good idea, since it bounces message back. "discard"
> > is good.
>
> No, 'deny' bounces messages back. The only difference between 'discard' and
> 'drop' that with 'drop', Exim drops the SMTP connection straigt away rather
> than waiting for more commands. 'discard' is better, though.

Ok, we are both wrong - drop sends 5xx code, permanent reject, which
should be fatal, but some MTA treat it as a temporary problem and try
to redeliver (according to doc/spec.txt). "discard" works like accept
with code 200, but actually delete message. This also explains why
log_message didn't work.

> > Also I found that my relay is using qmail and it adds field
> > everything is much simpler now.
>
> Wasn't that what someone suggested yesterday? Glad you got round to checking
> it.

I lived with idea that Envelope-To: header is meant for this and all
MTA use it when asked to save envelope To. Delivered-To looks like
another qmail reinvention and it took me some time to realize this.
Qmail is always different.

Anyway I'd still like to know how to process multi-address headers in exim.

> > So, thanks for idea :)
>
> You're welcome. Can I suggest a little less aggression next time you're
> asking for free help?

Sure. And can I suggest to read original post couple times when you
trying to grant someone with your free opinion?
;)

Andrey