Re: [Exim] What is better OS for Exim

Author: Nigel Wade
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] What is better OS for Exim
Yann Golanski wrote:
> Quoth Kjetil Torgrim Homme on Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 13:44:57 +0200
>
>>I'd add: if NFS is involved in your solution, use Solaris. I'm afraid
>>Linux' NFS has never been very stable. "it mostly works", whereas
>>Solaris is rock stable. (caveat: I don't have any experience with Linux
>>2.6.)
>

> I don't agree here. We used Linux + NetApp and NFS for years and it
> was rock solid with 3 million customers.
>
> I used Exim on Solaris, Linux and FreeBSD and I have not seen any major
> differences in performances. It's all down to Exim's bottle neck: its
> disk IO.

Speed isn't the only issue. With an FC1 client I see duplicated entries in
the ls output for some directories from an NFS server. From packet capture
and disection I know that the server isn't sending them, NFS on the FC1
client is generating them.

E-mail :    nmw@???
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555